[arin-ppml] nonsense about unrealized awareness from legacy resource holders

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:17:46 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 05:44 Jo Rhett <geek at jorhett.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 13, 2022, at 11:03 AM, John Santos wrote:
>>
> [ clip]
>

>> > On 4/13/2022 12:51 AM, Jo Rhett wrote:
>> > The DMV is a government agency and the public roads belong to the
>> government.
>> > ARIN is NOT a government agency, and the Internet is, for the most
>> part, owned
>> > by common carriers in private business.
>>
>> During the time in question when legacy resources without a contract were
>> given, the Internet was a government project and those resources were
>> government property. While commercial use of the NSFNet was rampant, it was
>> explicitly illegal until 1992 when NSFNet stopped being funded directly
>> from the government.
>

> 1989. World.std.com. MA USA.  Barry Shein and Mary Reindeau left Boston
> University and began offering public access from the SS Pierce building in
> Brookline. They used to call it a public utility. You might want to check
> with Barry or Mary regarding facts.  They fought that battle. And won.  And
> they're nice people.  You can chat with either at bzs@ or mer at .

Not to keep this going, but I found a rendition of the facts below and
since John is talking about facts from history this was fun to add.  I also
forget to mention Chetty Ramananathan as part of The World team from the
old school. There are other people on this list who know these facts very
well and played a role in them in small and large ways. I'm pretty certain
this IS accurate. :-)

         https://theworld.com/world/about/history/our_version

They are marked "our version". Clearly Barry's writing though.

Warm regards, and HTH;

-M<