[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 19 13:27:42 EDT 2021


In general, executives of (successful) profit-making ventures have lavish compensation that is usually proportional to the profit that the organization
makes in some way.

OTOH, the executives of NGOs usually have fixed compensation that is often well below that of executives of profit-making ventures. Apparently
there are some who think that this level of compensation (where John makes almost $150,000 more than the president of the united States)
is inappropriate. While I disagree with the current fee increase, I do not (personally) feel that John’s salary is inappropriate. I think he does a far
better job leading ARIN than any POTUS since Carter.

Owen



> On Sep 19, 2021, at 06:56 , Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> What does being non-profit have to do with not paying the executives that run the day by day of the organization ?
> 
> Fernando
> 
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2021, 01:33 Steve Noble, <snoble at sonn.com <mailto:snoble at sonn.com>> wrote:
> Since they are a non-profit, they could also cut executive salaries. As of 2019, John was being paid over $546,000 to respond to posts on mailing lists. 
> 
> https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/541860956 <https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/541860956>
> Key Employees and Officers	Compensation
> JOHN CURRAN (CEO AND PRESIDENT)	$546,029
> RICHARD JIMMERSON (COO)	$347,120
> JOHN SWEETING (SR. DIRECTOR, RSD)	$279,352
> MARK KOSTERS (CTO)	$276,796
> 
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2021, 9:17 PM Mark McDonald <markm at siteserver.com <mailto:markm at siteserver.com>> wrote:
> Our rate hike alone covers the cost of responding to concerned organizations questioning why such a massive rate hike is needed that targets the smallest half of ARIN’s user base.  You realize the only reason people are complaining (and you’re on these forums defending it) is because such a few increase is almost unheard of, correct?  Of course the mega-carriers aren’t on here complaining - they’re paying less than *1%* of what /24 holders do.  Just wait until the actual bills go out.
> 
> ARIN’s “a /8 ISP assignment costs just as much as a /24 end user” reasoning is ridiculous.
> 
> Not only is it untrue, it’s counterintuitive to reward organizations to request and maintain large assignments of a finite resource when there is absolutely zero incentive to return address space that isn’t needed.  It’s “taxing” the small organizations to fund the larger ones.  If you took into account that most large address space owners hold numerous blocks, their per IPv4 resource cost only gets less and less.
> 
> Again, I ask how ARIN feels it costs more than $1000 to respond to each ticket.  Id absolutely love to see how ARIN is losing money on our account.
> 
> I’m all for per / transaction fees - pay for what you use.  But what ARIN has passed with zero outreach is counterproductive to everything ARIN is supposed to represent - fairness and a steward of limited IPv4 resources.
> 
> Seeing the CEO of ARIN on these forums advocating for the behemoths of the internet at the cost of small organizations is disheartening.
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> > On Sep 18, 2021, at 4:03 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net <mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
> > 
> > On 17 Sep 2021, at 11:40 PM, arin-ppml <arin-ppml at arin.net <mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>> wrote:
> >> 
> >> Why not let them choose? They don’t really get any benefit from being an LIR member and since they aren’t running a local registry even though they are an ISP, why force them into the LIR category?
> > 
> > They don’t need to have a relationship with ARIN, but opt to do so in order to have number resources in the registry system that are independent of their service provider.  That means a contract with ARIN for services and thus sharing in the cost recovery model.
> > 
> > You can assert that ARIN's costs are predominantly the result of “LIRs” but that doesn’t reflect reality – many of our services and functions are equivalent for an entire address block and only a small set of them are related to subdelegation functions.   
> > 
> > Furthermore, there are costs that ARIN incurs as a result of customers that have no relation at all to the customers individual utilization of services or their choice to subdelegate, but still must be recovered (e.g. costs of responding to customers on mailing lists…)  
> > 
> > FYI,
> > /John
> > 
> > John Curran
> > President and CEO
> > American Registry for Internet Numbers
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > ARIN-PPML
> > You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> > the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> > Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> > https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> > Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
> Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any issues.
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20210919/04d2d550/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list