[arin-ppml] RSA Changes (was: Re: Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 22 17:16:56 EDT 2021

On 22 Sep 2021, at 5:08 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>> wrote:
What’s more I am not sure we can debate RSA changes on the PPML anyway.
Is that allowed? I thought the RSA was the domain of the Board.

Mike

As it turns out, the ARIN Board does have the ability to modify the RSA, but only in the face of a compelling need to comply with an identifiable change in relevant statute or caselaw…  Otherwise, changes to the RSA are simply recommended by the Board but then must be ratified by vote of the ARIN Membership.   [RSA Section 1.e]

This change was made in the last update to the RSA 12/LRSA 4 in order to provide increased contractual durability regarding the rights of ARIN registry customers such that they are only like;y to change upon formal community consensus that such a change is warranted.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO