[arin-ppml] Proposal to ban Leasing of IP Addresses in the ARIN region

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Sep 22 14:52:20 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
> Every LIR is a mini-ARIN by nature, isn't it?

No. And yes. And no.

I personally dislike the term "Local Internet Registry" precisely
because it creates this ambiguity. I'd be happier if we just stuck
with "ISP."

To my point of view, a network service includes IP addresses. The ISP
isn't really acting as a mini-ARIN, they're providing a network
service.

When they provide so many IP addresses with the service that it
becomes a number policy concern then you could say they're acting as a
mini-ARIN. Which I think is a problem. There's a long-standing
practice of ISPs assigning /24s and more to end-users which then find
their way into the BGP table disaggregated from the ISP's allocation.
That troubles me almost as much as the folks who want to be
straight-up mini ARINs without providing network services.

I actually did a 10-minute presentation at an ARIN meeting in Atlanta
years and years ago where I talked about forward-looking developments
in routing technology and the impairment that ISP disaggregates could
impose.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--