[arin-ppml] Proposal to ban Leasing of IP Addresses in the ARIN region

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:50:09 EDT 2021

Hi Bill

You are right that just because we can't prevent something doesn't mean
we have to legitimize it or make it easy.

I don't really have much concern when people say the RIR will find it
difficult to enforce it. It is important to separate things: if
something is categorically wrong then it must be said so and be as clear
as possible to everybody that have to follow those rules.
Having certain language written clearly doesn't necessarily mean that
ARIN staff must start hunting for offending parties and engage a lot of
funds for that, but in first instance give them tools to justify their
decisions and reducing the eventual conflicts between parties. Also and
very important give them extra assurance to back their positions in a
court case. Therefore as much as possible we should have policy language
adjusted as close as possible as it should be.

If there is a major sentiment in the community that IP leasing it
fundamentally wrong and should not happen in the way it has been
discussed here then lets make it sure that is well written and clear to
all. How ARIN will enforce it be up to staff to decide.

Chris - well noted about VPN scenarios. Got your analogy.
While there may not be a perfect text to fit for this case we may be
able to find the most suitable one that cover most situations.
Overall once the policy advances and reach consensus it will be even
more clear to community and to ARIN that the general consensus is not to
allow or incentive IP leasing and any possible scenarios that ARIN be
able to certify that may be happening.

Regards
Fernando