[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 22 08:32:36 EDT 2021

On 21 Sep 2021, at 10:25 PM, Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com<mailto:mike at iptrading.com>> wrote:

Hi Isaiah,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I don't think the proposal is not in accord with any provisions of the PDP.

We can agree to disagree on certain issues, but we agree on one thing, the last thing in your message.
"Regardless, I hope this policy will be amended to specify that leased addresses cannot be considered as justified need for waiting list requests."

I am in full agreement here, but I am not sure how best to word this.  ...

Mike  -

If that is a desired policy goal, then one possible way such a result could be achieved by the explicit definition of the term “operational need” and then referencing that term in the waiting list policy.   In this manner, generalization of LIR would not create ambiguities in application of waiting list issuance.

(I am certain there are many other ways to accomplish such a result, but provide the above as one possible approach in order to be responsive to your query and further discussion your policy goal.   Also note that parties purchasing rights to IP address blocks via specified transfers (NRPM 8.3 and 8.4) must per NRPM 8.5 have “operational use” – i.e. any transfers of number resources must be solely for the purpose of use on an operational network – and so doing an overall definition of that term instead and adjusting references is also a possible if that aligns with your policy goal.)

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO