[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement

Isaiah Olson Isaiah at olson-network.com
Tue Sep 21 22:04:30 EDT 2021

Hi Mike,

> OK, I think the fact that the policy was reviewed by the AC and deemed
> a draft policy counters your argument that it's not compatible with
> any aspect of the policy development process.

You are confusing Draft Policy with Recommended Draft Policy status.
Your proposal is within the scope of the PDP, thus it was posted here.
That doesn't mean it's in line with the PDP principles to be recommended
for adoption by the AC, the discussion on this list is intended to
determine that.

> I have seen the data about transfers being the source of miscreants
> and frankly it makes sense even without that report. Where else are
> miscreants going to get their addresses? (RPKI is putting a dent in
> hijacks) And I would also concede that the ratio of miscreants among
> Lessees is very high. However I find RIPE's transfer policies to have
> been generally successful and they put the lie to the fear of
> market-moving speculators taking advantage of no needs-testing to buy
> and hoard addresses in RIPE. On the contrary I find that RIPE has a
> thriving market in IPv4 transfers, mostly smaller blocks, which I
> regard as a healthy sign. But you can lease your addresses out here in
> ARIN. It's just that in RIPE you can buy addresses just for that
> purpose. This policy would change things so that other businesses
> could enter the leasing business and address the needs of the market,
> or fail if those needs don't materialize. It's my hope that leasing
> professionals could help clean things up substantially.

I think it's pretty difficult to get an accurate picture of the problem
here. Most of the abusive networks that I find originating in RIPE tend
to have many different ASNs and /24 blocks which all trace back to a
common upstream ASN. I don't know if lots of small blocks changing hands
is evidence of a healthy market for new entrants or a healthy market for
abuse. However, I concede that the current policy in RIPE has not
produced the extreme results that were predicted by some when the change
was being made in the short term. I do believe this will change in the
long run, but it remains to be seen.

> if there are only edge cases, there is no leasing business to begin
> with. But leasing is growing from my perspective.

I'm not trying to argue that there is no market for leasing, or that
only edge cases might be interested in the flexibility it provides.
Rather, I am arguing that it is not in the best interest of the
community to modify policy to allow the practice to be officially
sanctioned and considered as justified need for additional resources. If
private organizations with existing holdings want to offer the
flexibility of an off-network lease agreement, that is their choice, but
I consider it to be tantamount to an admission by that organization that
they are no longer using that space on their operational network and
therefore have no justified need based on the space. It's in use on
someone else's network, until such a time as they take it back and begin
using it on their own network again, at which point it makes sense to me
that they could offer it as justification for additional space.

> Isaiah, you lost me here when you talk about the pool for leasing
> diminishing. How is that going to happen if the incumbents don't sell?
> There are many networks larger than /20 that I lease to, so the
> waiting list limits are not really anything like a deciding factor.
> You can't even get a /21 from the waiting list. The waiting list is
> nice for small and new networks with small needs, but it really
> doesn't affect the leasing business that much.

You would certainly be in a better position than I to say who is
interested in leasing. Regardless of the market for the service, as you
have already mentioned, there is a large proportion of abuse activity
with leased addresses and I don't find the legitimate use cases
compelling enough to outweigh the potential for an ever increasing
number of addresses to fall into the hands of abusive networks. I firmly
believe that the "skin in the game" of operating a network that is
affected by IPv4 scarcity, IPv6 deployment, and the growth of the global
routing table is an important requirement and it was included in the
policy for a reason. I don't support the idea of any company acting as a
pseudo-RIR, acting without the same oversight as the current RIR system,
however imperfect it may be. I don't think the relatively low annual
costs and quick amortization of any IPv4 block acquired for leasing
provides any incentive for such an IPv4 landlord to clean up anything,
or provide any more accurate re-allocation data than we currently are
getting with the systems in place now.

> What I am saying is that if I am an ARIN lessor there is no financial
> incentive to accurately SWIP the assignment to the Lessee, although I
> am totally with you that this should be done for many reasons. But if
> the lessor wants to justify any future address purchases, he will need
> to provide evidence of assignment to the Lessee. This policy provides
> incentive for accurate registration of leases that currently does not
> exist.  I probably should have led with that.  But if you think a
> policy proposal to strengthen penalties against registering assigments
> is the better way to go, have at it.

There is no financial incentive, but there is a policy requirement to
accurately report re-allocations and re-assignments larger than /29.
This means that the lessor in your example is non-compliant with the
policy if they fail to report the re-assignment accurately regardless of
the lack of significant financial incentive or penalty. This isn't an
optional thing that the organization can just choose not to do. If they
are misreporting or misrepresenting their leased space to ARIN in order
to justify more resources or conceal leasing they don't want ARIN to
know about, they are committing fraud. I have never proposed penalizing
registering assignments, quite the opposite I proposed stiffening the
penalties for networks who fail to report re-assignments and
re-allocations accurately, especially with the intent to defraud the
community of resources they aren't entitled to hold under current policy.

Lastly, I just want to reiterate that my primary objection with this
policy proposal is due to the potential for a deleterious effect on the
waiting list system and a replay of the past controversies there with
leasing this time instead of transfers. Although I do not support the
practice of leasing or the use of leased resources to justify paid
transfers, I admit that the community may differ from me on that point
and that there are real economic arguments in favor of such a standalone
proposal. Regardless, I hope this policy will be amended to specify that
leased addresses cannot be considered as justified need for waiting list
requests.

- Isaiah