[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Remove Circuit Requirement

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 21 13:31:55 EDT 2021

On Tue, 21 Sep 2021, William Herrin wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 8:07 AM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> Current ARIN policy prevents the use of leased-out addresses as evidence of utilization.
>
> OPPOSE.
>
> Independent use of LIR-assigned addresses in BGP should be
> discouraged. It pollutes the BGP table by requiring disaggregation of
> neighboring addresses which might otherwise be efficiently routable.
>
> Also unclear why we should pretend that LIRs do a better job enforcing
> ARIN policy on address registrants than ARIN itself does. A LIR
> leasing arrangement delegates that responsibility from ARIN without,
> to my view, any good cause.

Also apposed [and very confused].  Is this some kind of mistake or did
ARIN-prop-302 [to which I am apposed], which suggested a small edit to
NRPM 2.4, removing the language that suggested some connection between
LIR->end user IP assignment and network services provided by the LIR,
somehow morph into changes to 8.x affecting the transfer of number
resources?

ARIN-prop-302 seems to be an attempt to legitimize the practice of leasing
IP space, which seems to me has been a grey area, at least not supported
by the current definition of LIR in 2.4.

Does anyone else find it odd that "2. Definitions" defines end-user and
LIR, but not ISP?  2.4 does say that LIRs are generally ISPs.  When are
they not ISPs, and when they're not ISPs, what are they?

   Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6

   Remove Circuit Requirement
   Shepherds: Andrew Dul, Matthew Wilder

   Current Text (21 September 2021)
   Problem Statement:

   The current language in Sections 8.3 and 8.4 is not clear regarding
   ASN-only transactions as well as the term “number resources”. The
   current language in Section 8.5.7 is not clear with regard to additional
   IPv4 space.

How does the title of this draft policy have anything to do with the
problem statement?