[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Sep 19 13:12:07 EDT 2021

> On Sep 19, 2021, at 06:32 , John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
> On 19 Sep 2021, at 12:15 AM, Mark McDonald <markm at siteserver.com <mailto:markm at siteserver.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Our rate hike alone covers the cost of responding to concerned organizations questioning why such a massive rate hike is needed that targets the smallest half of ARIN’s user base.  You realize the only reason people are complaining (and you’re on these forums defending it) is because such a few increase is almost unheard of, correct?  Of course the mega-carriers aren’t on here complaining - they’re paying less than *1%* of what /24 holders do.  Just wait until the actual bills go out.
>
> Mark -
>
> Actually, we’ve already spoken to some of the largest end-users whose fees are going up quite significantly (e.g. several hundred per year to 32 thousand dollars per year or more) – the organizations I’ve spoken to have wanted to understand the process and reasoning behind the change but have otherwise been quite understanding.
>
>> ARIN’s “a /8 ISP assignment costs just as much as a /24 end user” reasoning is ridiculous.
>
> I actually haven’t said that – what I said is that your assertion that the costs are linear (i.e. per IP address represented) are not realistic, nor is the single fee per-registry-object-regardless-of-size approach realistic.
>
> Our fee schedule scales in a geometric manner, so the smallest resource holders are paying only $250/year and the largest paying hundreds of thousands per year.   Does it reflect perfect cost allocation?  Almost certainly not, since it generallizations the entire ARIN customer base into a simple set of fee categories.  It may not be perfect but I believe it is as simple, fair and clear as is possible under the circumstances.

You got two out of three. It’s as simple and clear as possible.

It clearly subsidizes LIRs on the backs of end users that are just ever so slightly larger than the very smallest.

It would probably be tolerable if LRSA+RSA didn’t equate to double billing.

However, the combination of those two factors makes it an intolerable rate hike.

Owen