[arin-ppml] {Spam?} Re: Open Letter Regarding 650% Rate-Hike for Legacy Users

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Sep 18 06:04:05 EDT 2021

On 17 Sep 2021, at 11:40 PM, arin-ppml <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:

> Why not let them choose? They don’t really get any benefit from being an LIR member and since they aren’t running a local registry even though they are an ISP, why force them into the LIR category?

They don’t need to have a relationship with ARIN, but opt to do so in order to have number resources in the registry system that are independent of their service provider.  That means a contract with ARIN for services and thus sharing in the cost recovery model.

You can assert that ARIN's costs are predominantly the result of “LIRs” but that doesn’t reflect reality – many of our services and functions are equivalent for an entire address block and only a small set of them are related to subdelegation functions.

Furthermore, there are costs that ARIN incurs as a result of customers that have no relation at all to the customers individual utilization of services or their choice to subdelegate, but still must be recovered (e.g. costs of responding to customers on mailing lists…)

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO