[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 17 20:02:24 EDT 2021

> On Sep 17, 2021, at 01:57 , Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 17, 2021, at 3:42 AM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Makes me want to say ‘let’s see the book’. It is an historic artifact that should be scanned and posted somewhere for reference.
>
> I used to think that too.
>
> Then I thought about it some more.  Remember, it was just a notebook.  Not a database.  No error-checking.
>
> What happens when you find internal inconsistencies in the allocations of Bs?  Or gaps in the record?  You going to start reclaiming from AT&T?

Given my experiences with AT&T over the last several days, this doesn’t seem like such a bad idea, but that’s unique to the particular example
you chose and generally, no, where there is an internal inconsistency within the notebook, the current database should decide the issue.

Where there is an inconsistency between the notebook and current database, but no inconsistency within the notebook, then it might be
worth investigating how the inconsistency came about at least.

In any case, posting a scan of the notebook somewhere as a historic artifact seems like a worthwhile museum piece even if no such
reconciliation is attempted.

Owen