[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Sep 16 12:42:58 EDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 5:08 PM Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> I got my first 4 blocks (1 class B, and 3 class C blocks (pre-CIDR)
> in 4 different sites in 4 cities in 4 states) of addresses in ’88 (I
> know the year because my NIC handle was MA88 and I had
> noted that both where 88, a coincidence but just the same
> memorable). Even then there where formal procedures. The
> organisation was noted in whois.  You where expected to keep
> those records up to date. Yes, I know Jon did allocate some
> addresses less formally but most of the pre-ARIN allocations
> where formally recorded.

Hi Mark,

That's a half-truth.

There was no requirement for pre-ARIN organization names to be
recorded anywhere other than ARIN. Only the point of contact (POC)
needed a government-recognized existence. However there is a modern
requirement for such organizations to have possessed a
government-recorded existence. This creates a couple of nasty
problems.

First, a network can be hijacked by creating a modern government
registration for the organization name.

Second, where the organization's name has been retired in favor of
another one (very common over the course of more than a quarter
century), ARIN absolutely will not recognize the new name without
establishing an adhesion contract with the registrant.

Indeed, the last time I tried (today) ARIN wouldn't accept a change in
postal address even when submitted by the recognized organization POC.
The ARIN-online web form just "blinks" when I hit submit and nothing
happens.

So, this "expectation" to keep legacy registration records up to date
is impeded by ARIN and has been impeded for some fraction of the last
20 years. That's true even when the registrant makes a good-faith
effort to update ARIN as information changes.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin