[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Tue Sep 14 22:40:59 EDT 2021

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> Many solutions and proposals have been offered by many people much more qualified than myself to do so, and were brought to the rocks due to dual stack and anti-nat religion.
> Could this be due to the fact that things which merely extend the pain of address scarcity are not viewed as solutions by those of us who prefer an end-to-end model?

The scarcity is caused by the slow state of IPv6 deployment. Which is
caused by the lack of compatibility and utility of IPv6.

Address the latter, and the former improves. However, scarcity is
causing issues now.

In essence you hope that scarcity continues to function as leverage to
hasten deployment of a protocol that does nothing to improve it in the
short term.

That is neither justifiable nor responsible. Worse, it is not working.
Not nearly fast enough.

If you want p2p, you should embrace anything that brings the day IPv4
becomes optional closer, whether you find its technically offensive or not.

> How soon this finally happens or doesn’t is up to the very laggards you are championing.

Not. Simply explaining why there exists a significant and continuing
portion of the internet that you have characterized as laggards, who
frankly dont really care what you or even I think of them. And pointing
out that it was easy to see back in the beginning that this was almost
certainly to be the situation. That calling them names hasnt worked
quite well thus far and likely wont in the future either.

Which leads to the only logical and objective conclusion that continuing
to base a speedy IPv6 deployment on their coming around is ridiculous.

>> The lengths people will go to ignore change thats not very relevant to them are not impressive, just predictable.
> The lengths people will go to to pretend that relevant change isn’t because they find it uncomfortable in some way are impressive. They might also be predictable.
>
> Owen

IPv6 isnt even relevant to you in any real way. Its completely optional
and brings no additional value to your operational needs.

And since its so easy to deploy there isnt any real rush to get a jump
ahead.

Joe