[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Sep 13 15:01:37 EDT 2021

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 11:03 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
>

> Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML wrote:
>> This ignores some of the real consumer-afflicting issues in the situation and the key point I was trying to make…
>>
>> 1. The ATSC mandate was one of the most successful in USG History.
>>
> The most salient difference is that the USG own the airwaves and regulates them. I dont think we quite want the same for the internet.
>
> That is the only lesson to be learned.
>
> Joe

I am convinced that they regulate them.

I am not convinced that they own them.

However, I can see several situations where USG could exert legitimate pressure. I’m not sure that they should, necessarily, but I am
not completely convinced that they should not, either. Note that nothing I propose below represents an area where the USG does
not already regulate the matter in question to some extent or other.

	+	Do not buy network products from vendors that do not offer fully IPv6 enabled services.
	+	Do not buy from suppliers whose web sites are not reachable from an IPv6-only network after <date>
	+	Require providers to offer IPv6 services to call their service offering “Internet”.
	+	Require providers to offer IPv6 services at X Mbps to call their service offering “broadband internet”.
	+	Require providers to offer IPv6 services in order to receive any USF or other subsidies.

These would be pretty low hanging fruit and would be difficult to call “overreach” as each of them is already much more intrusively
regulated for other purposes by USG.

Owen