[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri Sep 10 18:24:22 EDT 2021

In message <DM6PR07MB470026A9A26D62F98EDDE818A1D69 at DM6PR07MB4700.namprd07.prod.
outlook.com>, "Mueller, Milton L" <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:

>How about dealing with this conclusion of the article we wrote about it:
>
>"...
>The tiny leftover portion of the IPv4 address space that AFRINIC controls is
>not going to sustain the kind of growth that is needed. This is a fight over
>crumbs. The collateral damage from this fight is not proportionate to the
>value of the stakes."

I feel compelled to note two things, even though doing so will likely earn
me no new friends @ gatech:

  *)  In my occasionally humble opinion, it is not within the job description
      of academics to determine the present value, or conversely the lack
      thereof, of any given commodity.  That having been said, I am sure
      that we would all welcome scholarly predictions of likely future
      trends in IPv4 pricing, especially if those could be expressed in
      concrete numerical or graphical form.

  *)  Free market participants appear to place a present value on single IPv4
      addresses at something at or well beyond $25 USD apiece.  If these are
      indeed worthless "crumbs" then they are quite certainly among the most
      valuable "crumbs" that I am aware of, and I personally would be only too
      happy to relieve any and all parties of the ongoing burden of carrying
      such annoying and troublesome crumbs on their books in exchange for any
      mutually agreeable compensation at or below the above figure, provided
      of course, that such parties hold the requisite transfer rights.

Regards,
rfg