[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue Sep 7 16:17:17 EDT 2021

In message <071e01d7a414$8afbd4e0$a0f37ea0$@iptrading.com>,
"Mike Burns" <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

>When marshalling arguments against the use of leased addresses as
>justification for new purposes, you have to carefully consider weighing
>them against the RIPE example, where there are no justifications, and
>no proscriptions against buying addresses in order to lease them out.[1]

... or even selling those addresses outright, after a sufficient waiting
period (2 years?), as I understand it.

>It can be done; it has been done; it's being done. If there is a genie
>in a bottle, that genie has long since escaped without incident.

Well, I would perhaps take issue with that "without incident" part.  I am
personally aware of some Bad Actors in the RIPE region that have, in my
opinion, abused the rather loose situation there in order to acquire
large amounts of scarce IPv4 space using the expedient of numerous shell
companies.  (Personally, I probably wouldn't even mind this sort of thing
if it were not for the additional fact that the IPv4 blocks in question,
once issued, have been turned into snowshoe spamming farms of the kind
that I have been working for the past 16+ years to defeat.)

Regards,
rfg