[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Tue Sep 7 16:02:36 EDT 2021

John, this discussion is a rehash that doesn’t belong here, but what the heck?

“Completely incorrect, as both Microsoft and the Nortel estate ultimately voluntarily agreed to modify the transaction consistent with ARIN's right to review and approve the transaction following ARIN's established policy – what had been sought and was _not_ achieved was some form of legal precedent that ARIN would have to update its registry contrary to community-developed policy.”

Not incorrect in the slightest, what happened is that ARIN came late into the picture and cast doubts which were then assuaged by ARIN’s completely bogus (IMO!) and rushed needs-test. Those doubts erased, both parties incorporated ARIN’s role in the ultimate document, but in the form of declarations rather than in legal decisions by the judge that would create precedent. Nowhere and at no time did the judge declare or require that ARIN approval was required for a transfer of legacy resources.  Having “the transfer policy in place” had no bearing on this deal until the auction was completed and the deal done.

Do you want to get into the public details of that needs-test (the supply side is now public, and exactly matched Microsoft’s need, so we can make inferences)?

Do you want to talk about the single aggregate, and the comma?

The nebulous delivery schedule of the addresses (some were still in use by Nortel)?

The odd coincidence of assorted Nortel acquisitions over decades exactly matching Microsoft’s needs?

When those addresses were ultimately announced via BGP?

The “modified” LRSA?

My point is that ARIN’s role was more like a speedbump than enabler in the process of developing a market, and any implication that ARIN was more than reactionary is not valid.  I will credit the board with the foresight to see the need for a transfer policy, and castigate the community which resisted it and put ARIN in the position of trying to cover the Nortel/Microsoft deal in a tissue-paper-thin veneer of policy compliance.

I see no need to further this discussion as I think my point has been made and recorded.

Regards,

Mike