[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Sep 5 23:15:27 EDT 2021

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 5:06 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2021, at 2:06 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> > Where would a policy draw the line between "this is an ISP" and "this
> > is someone leasing addresses?" And who do you destroy as a result,
> > since once you have the rule you can't make arbitrary and capricious
> > exceptions when someone reasonable comes along and says, "surely you
> > didn't mean me!"
>
> As it turns out, we already handle situations like this as ARIN customers
> who receive number resources make certain representations about their
> need/intended utilization for the resources.  There are occasions where
> we have to go back and review the actual deployment of the addresses
> – and that can become a rather detailed process for folks who don’t
> have any alignment between their claimed intended usage and
> apparent reality.

No, John, that's a different issue completely. You're talking about
lazy fraudsters who present fictional documentation. As you point out,
ARIN has and uses its tools to revoke addresses whose grantees both
never intended to use their addresses as originally claimed and
actually used their addresses in a manner which doesn't meet policy.
No new policies are needed to support this activity.

What I'm saying is that given the rich variation of legitimate address
uses, folks whose purpose is to lease address space will, if pressed,
find it unchallenging to create a useless and inexpensive network
which meets the technical need requirement of any rational ARIN policy
that can be written and supports the reality of address leasing. Built
for versions of inexpensive which are orders of magnitude less than
the proceeds from leasing the addresses, the nominal network thus
serves as the foundation for _accurate_ ARIN documentation.

Policy tends to fail where there's a broad enough space between
accurate and truthful to accommodate the unwanted behavior. It just
creates an arms race that the policy body ultimately loses.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin