[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Sep 2 22:08:22 EDT 2021

> Mike Burns wrote :
> Let’s not kid ourselves, what happened in AFRINIC is a free-pool problem, not a leasing problem. The comparison
> of registration fees to leasing revenue in this thread is completely bogus, except for the free pool.

The leasing thing makes it worse, though. Instead of having the recipient be accountable for the use of these addresses, it shifts that to who leases them. It's a smoke screen.

I do agree that, in the big scheme of things, it is indeed a free-pool problem, and that the ultimate goal is probably to sell the addresses when the free-pool is exhausted. In the mean time, nobody in AfriNic land is going to purchase addresses if they have a legitimate need and can get some for "cheap", so leasing them is the good way to accelerate exhaustion and it's easier to hold to them than creating a bogus "usage".

In a perfect world, leasing should be prohibited while there still are some addresses available in the free-pool.
In practice, what are the projections for the final exhaustion ?

Michel.