[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu Sep 2 18:06:35 EDT 2021

"that does not undercut the point I made which
is that for all we know, there are plenty of folks out there right now
who are holding onto their unused IPv4 space in the hopes that they will
be able to sell that in the future for more money than they can today,
due to the ever-increasing scarcity."

Hi Ron,

I like to call these people "Lessors".

Regards,

Mike

PS Regarding other distribution methods for IPv6, like spectrum auctions, I am against that unless a market for IPv6 addresses develops.

As John pointed out in another email, ARIN doesn't own these addresses but functions as a steward of them, with the aim of distributing as many as possible that will help grow the Internet.

A steward functions best with the lightest touch, and the lightest touch is to provide the addresses for free, while protecting against the tragedy of the commons through requiring a demonstration of need.