[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Oct 28 04:44:08 EDT 2021

How you define the border line of what can be enforced by policies and what not?

The RSA already confirms that what is in the policies is mandatory. If we say the abuse-mailbox must be "usable", we can also say "how much usable" must be.

If we take a look a the NRPM, it may happen that many parts of the text are "enforceable" for you and not for me (or viceversa) ... but the fact is that we, as a community, are accepting that by consensus.

El 28/10/21 9:48, "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us> escribió:

    On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 12:23 AM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML
    <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
    > I don't think this is correct and it may be a language appreciation, because I'm not native English, so how you and I understand "enforce" or similar words may differ. Let me explain.

    Hi Jordi,

    It may be a question of language but it's not a question of English
    it's a question of Law. Even if we wanted it to, ARIN lacks a legal
    foundation to compel registrants to accept and diligently process
    network abuse reports submitted via X-ARF. ARIN's authority is spelled
    out in the RSA and its bylaws, neither of which extend that far.

    If an ARIN representative (John?) believes I've mis-stated that, I'll
    let them correct me. Otherwise, understand that what you're asking for
    -can not- be achieved with an ARIN NRPM change.

    Regards,
    Bill Herrin

    --
    William Herrin