[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 27 22:41:33 EDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> However, right now 2 above doesn’t exist and instead
> if we keep using email but making a policy that enforces
> a transition to X-ARF/RFC5965/RFC6650, resolves the
> problems for spam into abuse mailboxes (because it is
> automatically processed and the spams get rejected by
> the system), facilitates the transition (a period of time where
> plain emails and X-ARF/RFC5965/RFC6650 are accepted,
> then only X-ARF/RFC5965/RFC6650).

Hi Jordi,

The moment you say "enforce," you've left the realm of the possible in
the ARIN region. ARIN can require a contact to exist. They can't
require you to do anything specific with information sent to it; that
exceeds the contract with the registrant.

Insisting on no progress without the impossible is simply insisting on
no progress.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--