[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-7: Make Abuse Contact Useful

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 27 16:59:51 EDT 2021

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:16 PM Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> Want to bet that I can’t write an abuse report generator for any standard you choose in less than 24 hours that will not get detected as SPAM by automation?

Yeah, see that's the thing. I technically have an abuse POC but it
goes through the same spam filter and the same voice mailbox as
everything else sent to me. There's just no way I'm going to manually
sort through the spam (both the regular kind and the automated report
kind) to get to the real reports that have been validated by a human
being. If you want to contact me about a real network abuse problem,
you just don't have a reliable way to do it. I want you to have a good
way but the signal to noise ratio on the "standard" way is just too
high for me to participate.

So, small fries like me usually don't receive the abuse reports while
larger networks tend to implement an autoresponse to the effect of,
"use our structured reporting mechanism on this web page so that
you're not just wasting our time." Of course the autoresponse looks
like spam too, so the odds of the reporter getting the instructions
are not great.

We need a better process. Email is simply the wrong process.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin