[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications

John Santos john at egh.com
Thu Jul 22 11:26:55 EDT 2021

On 7/22/2021 2:02 AM, Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML wrote:

>> On Jul 21, 2021, at 20:21 , scott at solarnetone.org wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>

>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> vultr.com uses private AS 64515 to simplify their customer BGP
>>> configuration process.
>>>
>>> https://www.vultr.com/docs/using-multiple-autonomous-systems-numbers-asns-with-vultr
>>

>> How does this make it simpler to have a BGP session with Vultr?  It is plugging one number in instead of another.
>
> It doesn’t. It makes it simpler for Vultr because they can send the same set of documentation to every customer
> without needing substitution blocks for “YOUR AS”. They can just tell the customer to use 64515 and be done
> with it.

It also makes it simpler and cheaper for the customers, who don't need to
acquire and maintain an AS.  That's what one of my customers does; we have
redundant VPNs to two of their sites, and they use BGP to distribute the current
best routing information to us (and their other business partners.)  They use
their public AS for their side and all their partners use 64597, unless they
have a public AS of their own.  Since we have no other need for an AS, this
makes like easier for us.

- John

--
John Santos