[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 21 23:27:21 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM <scott at solarnetone.org> wrote:
> > vultr.com uses private AS 64515 to simplify their customer BGP
> > configuration process.
> >
> > https://www.vultr.com/docs/using-multiple-autonomous-systems-numbers-asns-with-vultr
>
> How does this make it simpler to have a BGP session with Vultr?  It is
> plugging one number in instead of another.

Hi Scott,

The same number stays in your configuration at all of their
discontiguous sites regardless of how they ultimately connect to the
Internet or with which AS numbers. They could do the same thing with a
public AS number but there are handy router configs for removing the
private AS number so it might end up causing you to have a longer than
desired AS path.

I don't think I'd build it this way myself but it works for them and
it's a convenient large-scale example of using private AS numbers to
interact with the public Internet.

Regards,
Bill

--