[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2020-10: Requirement to Demonstrate, Utilization of Reassignments and Reallocations for ISPs Seeking, Initial Allocation from ARIN

Isaiah Olson Isaiah at olson-network.com
Sat Jan 23 21:05:08 EST 2021

I think concerns related to fraud are the primary issues I would have
with the implementation of this policy as written, and any elimination
of the current requirement to demonstrate efficient utilization of past
allocations. I also disagree with the premise of the policy. My
understanding from organizations that have applied under the current
policy is that new ISP organizations without any IP allocations or
re-allocations cannot simply request space without providing some
documentation of a contract to receive network connectivity, and other
similar items that may not be required of networks with existing
re-allocations and operating networks. It doesn't seem to me like there
is a clear disparity, only that different information is required of
organizations in differing situations. In some cases, it could possibly
be even harder for an organization with no existing holdings to acquire
address space if they ran into issues demonstrating their plan to
actually get connected, or if they were unable to sign a contract for
services when they weren't sure if/when they would get address space or
not. Overall, I just don't see an organization having no holdings as
having a clear advantage or disadvantage within the waiting list
process, and I don't support this policy.

However, I would like to ask ARIN staff for clarification on this part
of the problem statement:

> An organization without reassignments or reallocations doesn’t need to
> provide any justification other than submitting the request and
> providing an officer attestation.

Can we get some idea of the accuracy of this statement? Are there
actually any ISPs that are brand new corporations who received an
initial allocation with nothing besides an officer attestation? If so,
how does ARIN determine when extra documentation is required?

Isaiah Olson
Olson Tech, LLC