[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2020-2: Grandfathering of Organizations Removed from Waitlist by Implementation of ARIN-2019-16

Chris Woodfield chris at semihuman.com
Sun Jan 17 15:00:04 EST 2021

Obviously this thread is going somewhat off-topic and my reply isn’t going to help matters - the idea that peer to peer is useless is a factor, but it’s more than that - it’s the fact that the vast majority of customers, service providers, and operators have come to view NAT and the use of private space as a form of security perimeter, and that allowing internal hosts/networks to be numbered from globally-routable space represents a security risk.

You, I, and most of the people reading PPML know that mindset is completely fallacious, but it’s quite pervasive and takes quite a bit of education to disabuse otherwise quite savvy operators of this notion.

It’s interesting that a lot of IPv6 evangelism that I’ve seen over the years doesn’t address this concern - IMO we should be spending quite a bit of energy fighting that mindset.

-C