[arin-ppml] Board of Trustees Consideration Petition for ARIN -2020 -2: Reinstatement of Organizations Removed from Waitlist by Implementation of ARIN-2019-16

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Mon Jan 11 21:53:37 EST 2021

On 1/11/21 6:20 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> During the AC's November 19th meeting, they voted 8 in favor, to 6
> against, to recommend this policy to the Board, nevertheless, the motion
> failed as the PDP requires 10 votes in favor by the AC to recommend
> adoption of a policy to the Board. I think the AC's vote accurately
> represents the division in the ARIN community regarding this policy.
> Therefore, while I strongly support this policy, I do not support this
> petition and believe further discussion by the community is necessary
> and the proper way forward for this policy.

I will grant that this policy may warrant further discussion, but I'm
not sure how that's possible now that a legal threat has been made. I
feel threatened by Mr. Pruitt, to the point where I'm hesitant to
continue participating.

Can someone sue someone who opposed a policy? Will they take opposing
comments and seek damages? Could the board's actions be interpreted as
"damages" for someone to bring legal action against anyone that spoke in
opposition those that participate in the policy process because they
didn't like the outcome?

If one feels they cannot safely participate in this community (as I do
after reading Mr. Pruitt's petition), I believe that will only squelch
participation, since those who oppose may withhold their objections out
of fear of retaliation.

~Seth