[arin-ppml] AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Aug 31 22:59:13 EDT 2021

>> Michel Py wrote :
>> I have a dumb question : under what conditions is it OK to use an ARIN IP address in another RIR region ?
>> I have a specific situation in mind : a global organization (with physical infrastructure in all 5 RIRs)
>> is using ARIN addresses in a country in the RIPE region (and most likely elsewhere). I do not want to point
>> fingers, as I suspect that this is a quite common situation. But it is related to the subject at hand.

> Jon Lewis wrote :
> This used to be a grey area open to interpretation.  Some years ago, it became official policy. Check
> out section 9 of the NRPM (Out of Region Use).  Basically, as long as certain conditions are met
> (designed to discourage RIR-shopping by out of region organizations), it is explicitly permitted.

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason I asked is as follows :

> Quotes from : https://teamarin.net/2021/08/27/afrinic-and-the-stability-of-the-internet-number-registry-system/
> It is apparent that Cloud Innovation’s use of the issued number resources is not being used for the purpose for which they were issued

"the purpose for which they were issued" is vague to me, as I have not seen it.

> "Such a result is not surprising as Cloud Innovation has indicated that they predominantly “lease” the IP
> address space to other parties rather than utilize it to provide connectivity services directly."

If Cloud Innovation has indicated that they predominantly “lease” the IP address space to other parties, then why did AfriNic grant their request in the first place, if it violates their policy ? Don't tell me I'm giving ammo to Cloud Innovation; they did not wait for me to suggest this in here today.

Please allow me to explain why I am asking this : I was born in France; a large part of Africa was once part of what one may call the former French colonial empire. Mauritius may or may not be part of it, this is not the point.
The point is : when I left my native France to come to the USA, there were legal and tax provisions allowing bribes in cold hard cash to be treated as "cost of doing business" in Africa.
Allow me to put it in plain English : in order to get $newbusiness in $africancountry, I had to bribe $name who is the secretary of technology in $africancountry for $plenty in cold hard cash, and that does not even include the $escort and the $booze. I write off $plenty and $escort and $booze in cold hard cash as business expenses. Tough job, someone has to do it.

I volunteer to represent ARIN in Mauritius ;-)

Michel.