[arin-ppml] Legacy number resources in the ARIN region (was: Re: Inter-RIR transfer Policy reciprocity with Afrinic_Resource Transfer Policy proposal)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 14 17:06:27 EDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 1:24 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2020, at 3:55 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Another example: in the Microsoft/Nortel
>> matter ARIN negotiated an alternate contract with Microsoft rather
>> than allow the bankruptcy court to proceed to rule on whether ARIN
>> could be compelled to transfer a legacy registration without one.
>
> The above is also incorrect - ARIN had no concern about a ruling, but such was unnecessary since the parties agreed to condition the sale on compliance with ARIN’s policies and Microsoft’s entry into an RSA with ARIN.

Oh really? Perhaps I've misunderstood. Is it ARIN's position that
everybody receiving a transfer of what were originally legacy
resources may do so under the Legacy RSA rather than be expected to
use the standard RSA? If not, how exactly do you explain ARIN's
gracious deviation on Microsoft's behalf?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin