[arin-ppml] Oppose Draft Policy ARIN-2020-2

Joe Provo ppml at rsuc.gweep.net
Mon Nov 2 12:50:32 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:50:16AM -0500, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 8:42 AM Brandt, Jason via ARIN-PPML <
> arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
[snip]
> The question for me is what, clearly, is the inequity that grandfathering
> addresses? Going through the process? Waiting on the list and getting
> nothing? There were no guarantees made when a company got on the list as
> far as I can tell. The process was minimal and I don't think it in itself
> requires any special compensation. This policy, if I read the meeting
> minutes correctly and Owen's comments in them, doesn't really help with
> much at all.

Speaking only for myself, not any employer or any elected
capacity, I oppose the policy precisely because it is a
one-time action for one set of entities and (by its own
logic) still leaving another set of affected entities [as
noted by Andrew Dul 22 Oct) in the current state. I
personally expected the community to respond to ARIN-2019-16
in some way, but as a more structural approach to wait-list
handling, not a one-time action for a set of parties.

Policies change, sometimes they apply going forward and other
times they apply universally. The wait list has changed and
will change in future in response to the needs of the community;
it has never carried any guarantee or lack of risk.

Cheers,

Joe

--
Posted from my personal account - see X-Disclaimer header.
Joe Provo / Gweep / Earthling