[arin-ppml] Last Call - Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2020-2: Reinstatement of Organizations Removed from Waitlist by Implementation of ARIN-2019-16

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Nov 2 12:06:06 EST 2020

As I have said before, I believe that the implementation of ARIN-2019-16
was fair, more precisely, I believe it was objectively fair. Nevertheless,
I think we can all acknowledge that subjectively, it never quite seems fair
when you're the one that ends up with the short end of the stick, however
objectively fair the decision actually was. Accordingly, I have some
empathy for those that ended up with the short end of the stick in this
situation, through no fault of their own, and support this policy to
restore at least some of those dropped from the waiting list by the
implementation of ARIN-2019-16, even though I don't think we can or should
restore everyone that was dropped.

Further, more participation is always a good thing for the Policy
Development Process (PDP). However, there is at least the perception that
many of the new participants are participating in the discussion of only
this single issue, if true, this is not healthy participation, this
perception concerns me. My suggestion to these new participants is, for you
to combat this perception by reviewing and commenting on the many other
policies under discussion. Please don't allow yourself to be tagged, and
possibly dismissed, as a single-issue participant.

Thank you.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952