[arin-ppml] ARIN-2019-19 Require IPv6 before receiving Section 8 IPv4 Transfers

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Sun Jan 19 22:50:59 EST 2020

This is NOT about inflating IPv6 adoption numbers, but trying to get
people to move in the right direction, since without adoption of IPv6, the
number of nodes on the internet will be fixed at a number that is not even
equal to one per living person on planet earth.

I am not a bit worried about my employment for publically stating that I
think we need to move toward IPv6. In actual fact, I am often hired for
that specific skill.  Your suggestion seems similar to suggesting a doctor
who promotes healthy eating and the use of a daily multivitamin should be
fired by their employing hospital system, because they do not want healthy
people, since sick people cause so much more profit for the hospital
system. Here, you are suggesting it is career suicide to suggest that the
future of the Internet is IPv6. I do not think that is true.

I speak from a US prospective. The largest ISP in the US is Comcast, who
has gone all in on IPv6 without any push from this policy, since even if
they possessed ALL the IPv4 addresses, they would not be enough to number
all the devices in their network.  Other major Internet players including
all of the top 4 Cable and top 4 phone ISP's except for Verizon and
Fronter FIOS, who still has made no IPv6 progress on their FIOS network at
all are including IPv6 by default. Verizon is big on IPv6 elseware
including their mobile network, and like the top 4 mobile carriers, employ
IPv6 in their newest handsets.

Google, Netflix, Microsoft, Apple, Yahoo, Amazon and AWS and many more of
the top internet sites in terms of traffic are using this protocol.  It is
false that IPv6 is not growing. Those that hold out hope that something
like IPv8 will come rescue them from IPv6 adoption is not happening. IPv6
is here now and the only path to expand the Internet beyond the size of
IPv4.  If it were possible to have a expansion of addresses in IPv4, it
would have been done. I also note that IPv6 has the same issue, as there
was no expansion plans placed into it either.

As an example of the usefulness of IPv6, a major wireless internet
provider refused to renew its contract with my state government to provide
static public IPv4 addresses on their mobile network to agencies of the
state.  They told everyone that wanted addresses that are both static and
public that the only choice going forward after the contract end is IPv6,
because they intended to repurpose all the static addresses in their
mobile network to their CGnat platform because they did not want to have
to buy more.  My challenge was to tie together a 2000+ node public transit
network with IPv6 since the 2000+ static IPv4 addresses were going away.
In support of this, I first advanced an ARIN policy to change the
requirement for registration for IPv6 from /64 to /47, a policy change
that allowed us to get around a hard headed requirement of this mobile
provider that I provide a unique street address for each public transit
bus as part of the required ARIN /64 registration.  After that was taken
care of, it was actually quite simple to move traffic to IPv6 addresses.
There is also a public wifi spot on each bus, and to date more than 1/2 of
that traffic also moves via IPv6. IPv4 traffic now passes thru the new
CGnat, and is much slower then IPv6 because of that overhead.

IPv6 is NOT retreating from use. To me, it looks like the ones that are
against this policy are mostly either IPv4 brokers or corporate networks
that do not offer public services, are not growing fast and see no need to
spend even one dime on IPv6 deployment.  Of course from the individual
business point of view this is true.  However, the Internet depends on
collective rules regarding traffic, and it is clear that IPv6 needs to be
part of this, so that everyone can obtain and use a Internet network that
is not constrained by the 4.3G limit of IPv4.

One of the main points of usefulness of this policy is it will make IPv6 a
requirement of a growing network, rather than an unneeded protocol.  Most
Corporate decisions are clearly based on money.  If the CxO is told by IT
staff that IPv6 is no longer optional for those that need to grow their
IPv4 holdings because of a policy change at ARIN, it will move IPv6 from
the optional to the required column. Keep in mind that those large
internet businesses I cited above made the decision to go to IPv6 based on
their own corporate merits and NOT ARIN policy.  This policy change is
more about getting the remaining holdouts that are growing their IPv4
holdings to make the same change.

Those in the IPv4 broker business clearly see IPv6 growth as a threat to
their business, and I agree that universal adoption of IPv6 will ruin
their business model.  Their money comes from the operators that are
paying 10-20 dollars per address, instead of using that money to expand
using IPv6.

I know that a lot of people here have said they will never adopt IPv6, and
have no need.  Therefore they do not want ARIN policy to "make" them do
this.  I also note for the record that I did not advance a policy to
require healthy eating and the use of multivitamins.  However, IPv6 IS
something that is needed for any future growth of the Internet, since IPv4
cannot grow, and eventually those unused blocks being traded will come to
an end and slow IPv4 growth.  I also note that those corporate networks
that do not need additional IPv4 addresses will still not be required by
this policy to have anything to do with IPv6.  This policy is ONLY
directed to those that are wanting to grow their IPv4 network. It is also
not directed to the waiting list, as I see that slowing to a near stop.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.