[arin-ppml] Fwd: Advisory Council Meeting Results - December 2019

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Jan 4 20:14:45 EST 2020

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 17:27 Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <
> CAMDXq5Mbe2dn9aWxho-H-p8G3yqwbaAK-RXr7uQmTaC5PBtyCA at mail.gmail.com>
> Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Talking about v6 exhaustion is probably better suited for the IETF. Either
> >way, we'll all be dead if/when it happens...
>
> Speak for yourself!  I have plans to still be here in 2050!  (And I even
> hold
> out some vague hope that some encoding of myself will still be around in
> time
> to see humanity's construction of its first Dyson sphere.)

I took Marty as referring to RFC2050 not the year 2050. RFC2050 made
conservation a primary consideration for IPv4 allocation policies, even at
the cost of operational complexity. With IPv6 we shouldn’t be profligate,
but conservation doesn’t need to the primary consideration either,
operational simplicity can come first, including a multi-year supply on
initial allocation.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952