[arin-ppml] Fwd: Advisory Council Meeting Results - December 2019

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Jan 4 15:13:01 EST 2020

In message <alpine.LRH.2.21.2001031911040.742 at bigone.uneedus.com>,
hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

>[IPv6] also brings RIR's
>back to their original record keeping role, without having to police the
>number of addresses that a member needs.

I am not persuaded that this will be the case.  When IPv4 was first
promulgated, I do believe that just about everyone felt that there
was no way in hell that "the Internet" such as it was, or such as it
might become, could ever use up 4 billion addresses.  Now admittedly,
things -are- rather different with IPv6, where the number of addreses
is a lot closer to the number of elementary particles in the Universe,
but I do think it is unwise to ever assume that there are any practical
limits on man's ability and/or willingness to waste stuff.  In other
words, I think that some amount of thoughtful husbandry of the resource
will always be needed.

Regards,
rfg