[arin-ppml] Fwd: Advisory Council Meeting Results - December 2019

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jan 3 18:57:05 EST 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> To be frank however, I'm not fully persuaded that the term "landlord"
> should be so cavalierly tossed around as an epithet with distinctly
> negative connotations.  [...] I don't know the right answer,

Taxes. That's how it works in real estate anyway. You can own as much
land as you can afford but you have to pay taxes on all of it. And you
can lose it to both clean-it-or-lein-it and adverse possession. And
you have liability when folks get hurt on your land. And there are tax
incentives to push ownership over leasing when folks who want it come
knocking. So lots of down sides to owning land that you're not using
as effectively as your neighbors.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--