[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-21: Reserved Pool Replenishment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 14:24:16 EST 2020

Let's fix the math I broke. Mea culpa. Inline. I think I got it right this
time. :)

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 11:46 AM Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> [ clip ]

[ clip ]

I'll agree that the intended longevity of the 4.4 pool was discussed at the
>> time of its creation or at least when it was expanded and it was intended
>> as a relatively short-term crutch for the IXP, TLDs and other critical
>> infrastructure IPv4 micro allocation growth.  Personally, I wouldn't be
>> opposed to right-sizing the 4.4 pool, with priority on other returned
>> resources over the waiting list for replenishing this pool.
>>
>> Maybe right-size it down to a 5 or 6 year supply, based on the last 5 or
>> 6 years of allocations, with the excess going to the waiting list
>>

> Let's assume the pool size is a /15 and use an average rate of allocation
> IXP+CI of 18 /24 per year.
>
> YEAR  0 - YEAR 5 = 105 /24's (generous as I measured beginning of period
> to end of period)

Corrected, year 0 to 5 and BOP to EOP = 105 /24's. However, apples to
apples occurs when comparing /24's to /24's. :)

[ clip broken math, insert good math]

A /16 would probably be forgiving and return a /16. Noise. But worthy in
the current context.

                                  BOP / 24             EOP /24
YR 0
*512* *494*

*YR 1* *494* *477*
*YR 2* *477* *459*
*YR 3* *459* *442*
*YR 4* *442* *424*

*YR 5 <---* *424*
*407 *
YR 6 407 389
YR 7 389 371
YR 8 371 354
YR 9 354 336
YR 10 336 319
YR 11 319 301
YR 12 301 284
YR 13 284 266
YR 14 266 248

The 4.10 pool needs more run rate IMHO. However, a thumb in the air would
suggest that it could be cut in half. Food for thought.

YMMV,

-M<