[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 14 17:40:19 EDT 2019

On 14 Oct 2019, at 11:24 AM, hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

> As far as I can tell, this is the most current policy for allocation of IPv6 Blocks to Regional Internet Registries:
>
> https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/allocation-ipv6-rirs-2012-02-25-en
>
> There is nothing in it regarding transfering control of portions of these blocks to a different RIR.  In fact, based on the formulas contained therein, if a RIR were to transfer enough of its space out, it would be unable to obtain more, as transfered space is not accounted for in the formulas.
>
> This policy was ratified in 2006.  At that time I doubt there was any real discussion about allowing transfers of IPv6 between RIRs.

That policy is a ASO-developed global number policy which directs _ICANN_ regarding the specific actions that it is to undertake in allocation – it does not constrain RIR administration of their resources other than with respect to the fact that there are criteria to be met to qualify for future allocations.

> Reading the policy it also does not seem to allow interRIR transfers.
>
> This is the list of currently assigned IPv6 blocks:
>
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments.xhtml
>
> Even here, I see nothing granting consent by IANA or otherwise to the transfer to another RIR of portions of Blocks contained on this list.

No consent is necessary nor needed; the IANA follows global number policies set by the RIRs and unless we create a global policy which provides for such a role for IANA, then it does not exist.

This is quite similar to IPv4, wherein each RIR creates policies based on its own communities’s policy development processes, and that includes the existing inter-RIR transfer policies.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO