[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Oct 12 12:58:06 EDT 2019

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 6:29 AM <hostmaster at uneedus.com> wrote:

> I agree.  The only reason for this transfer thing was the shortage of IPv4
> addresses and 16 bit ASN numbers.  There is no shortage of IPv6 addresses
> or 32 bit ASN.
>
> Therefore, I agree that IPv6 transfers and 32 bit ASN transfers should not
> be permitted, even for M&A.

I have almost exactly the opposite opinion. No shortage means no cause to
game the system. No gaming of the system means the transfer is requested
for reasonable, pragmatic causes. Like avoiding renumbering pain. Why
should this be prevented?

Where there is a plausible reason to believe someone is gaming the system
or just generally being careless and wasteful, that's where I want to see
limits and strict evaluation.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--