[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Oct 10 13:07:15 EDT 2019

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 11:02 , Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> You said “RIR is and has always been the one who drives the resources to be efficientlly assigned by analysing justifications not private transfer companies. If an organization is not using resouces efficiently it either may change its resource assignment strategy otherwise it doesn't justify for those addresses anymore and should return them back to the RIR.”
>
> There is no policy in ARIN to return un-needed space.  IPv4 resource holders own something of value, which is what economists call an “alienable asset”.  It is possible for such resource holders to return such space to ARIN, but you don’t have to be an economist to understand why they don’t and haven’t for the most part.

Mike,

I refer you to ARIN RSA Version 12.0 Section 7:

7. NO PROPERTY RIGHTS

Holder acknowledges and agrees that: (a) the Included Number Resources are not property (real, personal, or intellectual) of Holder; (b) Holder does not and will not have or acquire any property rights in or to Included Number Resources by virtue of this Agreement; (c) Holder will not attempt, directly or indirectly, to obtain or assert any patent, trademark, service mark or copyright in any number resources in the United States or any other country; and (d) Holder will transfer or receive Included Number Resources in accordance with the Policies.

Owen