[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Wed Oct 2 10:10:34 EDT 2019

Hi Albert,

Good questions.
These addresses are not transferred back to ARIN, any inter-regional transfer into ARIN or out of ARIN requires a needs test for the recipient to demonstrate to its RIR that it has a need.

Addresses in RIPE are not an ARIN issue, but where an address is registered has very little significance. Address can, with very few exceptions, be used anywhere in the world regardless of where they are registered. So the leasing market spans RIRs and regions, and the market is separate from the geographical limits of the RIRs due to the lack of limits on the use of IP addresses geographically.

So really leasing is an issue for the communities of all RIRs, because no RIR is the routing police.

The RIR shopping that is already occurring happens for two reasons primarily. Fee-avoidance and policy-avoidance. You want more members? Lower your fees and policy restrictions. You want less members? Raise your fees and impose harsh policies.
It's just the nature of things.

Regards,
Mike