[arin-ppml] Fwd: Advisory Council Meeting Results - September 2019

ARIN info at arin.net
Tue Oct 1 13:35:42 EDT 2019

On 9/24/19 4:33 PM, ARIN wrote:
> The AC has abandoned the following Draft Policies:
>
> * ARIN-2019-4: Allow Inter-regional IPv6 Resource Transfers
> * ARIN-2019-9: Clarify Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition
> Space Requests and NRPM 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests
> * ARIN-2019-11: M&A Regional Nexus Exclusion
>
> Regarding Draft Policy ARIN-2019-4, the AC provided the following
> statement:
>
> "ARIN-2019-4: Allow Inter-regional IPv6 Resource Transfers, involves
> mostly the same issues as ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A. Further,
> ARIN-2019-10 seems to have a better formulation of the issues involve,
> and the discussion of these issues by the ARIN community has
> concentrated on ARIN-2019-10 instead of ARIN-2019-4. The ARIN Advisory
> Council has therefore abandoned Draft Policy ARIN-2019-4 in order to
> simplify and focus the discussion on ARIN-2019-10 at the upcoming ARIN
> 44 meeting, and encourages the ARIN community to continue discussing
> these issues through ARIN-2019-10.”
>
> Regarding Draft Policy ARIN-2019-9, the AC provided the following
> statement:
>
> "ARIN-2019-9: The ARIN Advisory Council has abandoned Clarify
> Interactions Between NRPM 4.10 IPv6 Transition Space Requests and NRPM
> 4.1.8.2 Unmet Needs Requests. Staff and legal review provided important
> insight into potential issues which "may be detrimental to some
> organizations, as address space received per NRPM 4.10 must be used in a
> manner consistent with IPv6 translation services and cannot be used for
> other purposes such as customer assignments, shared hosting services,
> etc." The ARIN community expressed concern for the potential impacted
> parties and therefore, the policy no longer has support from the
> community. Therefore, we are abandoning 2019-9 for lack of support from
> the community.”
>
> Regarding Draft Policy ARIN-2019-11, the AC provided the following
> statement:
>
> "Due to a lack of support from the community, the AC abandoned work on
> Draft Policy 2019-11 at its monthly meeting on Thursday, September 19th
> 2019.   This policy proposal was speculative in nature and described a
> double corner case wherein an organization that had withdrawn completely
> from ARIN’s service region (and could therefore no longer meet the
> cursory requirements of business nexus) wishes to continue the
> pre-existing relationship with ARIN.  It elicited no support and a
> single one-word comment on PPML (“Oppose”) upon which the author
> declined to expand."
>
> Anyone dissatisfied with these decisions may initiate a petition. The
> deadline to begin a petition will be five business days after the AC's
> draft meeting minutes are published.
The minutes from the ARIN Advisory Council's 19 September 2019 meeting
have been published:

https://www.arin.net/about/welcome/ac/meetings/2019_0919/

The petition deadline for these Draft Policies is 6 October 2019 (in
five calendar days).

For more information on starting and participating in petitions, see PDP
Petitions at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/#part-three-pdp-petition-process

Draft Policy and Proposal texts are available at:

https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/

Regards,

Sean Hopkins
Policy Analyst