[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-19: Require IPv6 Before Receiving Section 8 IPv4 Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 12 19:45:02 EST 2019

> On Nov 12, 2019, at 05:22 , Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/11/2019 01:38, Michel Py wrote:
>> <clio>
>> The enterprise market will not adopt IPv6. If it takes splitting ARIN in two, so be it.
>> Frankly at this time I would welcome it. IPv6 is only trouble for me, and I do not think ARIN is representing my interests.
> You have a few options here:
>
> 1) Accept that you are a minority within ARIN and ARIN will hardly represent the interest of these minority willing to navigate in the opposite direction and to a dead end.

LoL… Except that among enterprises, he is unfortunately not really in a minority. At least not yet.

> 2) Move your business to another RIR that may not be working as much to promote IPv6 transition and convince the other entire community to go that opposite direction.

As much as I applaud ARIN’s efforts in this area, I think you would be hard pressed to identify an RIR that has done less, except possibly AfriNIC and even there, I think it’s questionable.

That’s not criticism of ARIN’s actions, either. I think ARIN has done what it can within the mandates it has received from its membership, as it should.

> 3) Create another RIR - ICP-2 is your friend if you have enough people that share your ideas and you fulfill those requirements (the documents says: "very substantial majority of the ISPs in the region”)

ICP-2 Approval of another RIR is, um, unlikely at best.

> 4) Go to another type of business.

You seem to be assuming he’s in the internet business. He made it pretty clear he’s talking from the enterprise perspective where the internet isn’t the revenue generating portion of the business, but merely
one of the many tools used by the business to accomplish its revenue goals.

I disagree with Michel in a number of areas. He and I have had frank discussions about this. However, the points he raises are legitimate and we ignore or dismiss them at our peril.

Owen