[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-19: Require IPv6 Before Receiving Section 8 IPv4 Transfers

Tom Fantacone tom at iptrading.com
Wed Nov 6 17:38:16 EST 2019

At 05:05 PM 11/6/2019, Michel Py wrote:

>John,
>
> >> Michel Py wrote :
> >> IPv6 has failed to deploy for twenty years. Open your eyes.
>
> > John Curran wrote :
> > That's a point that you'll need to prove to the community, if
> indeed you wish it to be considered in the development of policy.

It's fine to have discussions about this point, but no one should
have to prove it to a community in order to be allowed to operate
their own network using the protocols they choose (or to be not
penalized by the community for not using the protocol du jour).

> > scott at solarnetone.org
> > Now you have me really curious. Why are you opposed to IPv6?
>
>I am not opposed to IPv6. What I am opposed to is zealots who have
>been telling me the same broken records for 20 years, trying to
>shove it down my throat by any means possible including taxing it.
>My ecosystem is IPv4 and it's big enough to survive on its own forever.
>IPv6 is not the Internet. The IPv4 Internet does not need IPv6. My
>network, my rules.
>
>If you don't want the balkanization of the Internet, stop trying to
>force-feed me.
>IPv6 is a solution looking for a problem that I do not have.
>
>Michel.

Agreed.  If IPv6 is so advantageous, network operators will use it by
choice.  Some have.  Many have not.  The ones who have not are not
backwards or crazy or evil.  They simply haven't been swayed by the
arguments for IPv6 as applied to their particular situation.  After
decades of IPv6 promotion by all the RIRs, some large corps and other
zealots, and after a modest, but somewhat disappointing uptake, is
the "solution" now to force network operators to deploy IPv6 or
penalize them under policy for not doing so?

>With all the respect, 30%+ global IPv6 traffic, I think somebody
>else should open the eyes!
>
>China already mandated it to the ISPs, even if we aren't able to
>measure it correctly (yet), you can guess that being a country with
>1.4 billion inhabitants, this will, in just a couple of years,
>double the % of IPv6 traffic..
>
>Regards,
>Jordi
>@jordipalet

I'm sure China mandating IPv6 to ISPs increases utilization, just as
their one-child policy reduces population growth, but I want none of it.
Let the protocols fall where they may.

Regards,

Tom Fantacone