[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-19: Require IPv6 Before Receiving Section 8 IPv4 Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 6 15:51:22 EST 2019

On 6 Nov 2019, at 3:23 PM, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:
> There is no law that says I need IPv6, therefore the courts will hear my case for undue burden.

Michel -

As ARIN is not a governmental authority (but rather administering the registry on behalf of the community via a set of contracts), you’ll probably need to look instead to contract law doctrine (e.g. unconscionability) for possible grounds for a cause of action.   Given that ARIN is only enforcing community policy and your ability to make productive use of any address space is predicated upon cooperation with the same community, you might find it difficult to argue that you wish the benefits of cooperation minus whatever obligations that community collectively establishes.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO