[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks - Clarifying Language

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Nov 4 04:15:19 EST 2019

In message <23F8704F-C807-4E5D-B8A3-947EABCBE1C0 at delong.com>,
Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> At the end of the day,  any applicant can design some technical
>> concoction which artificially requires IP addresses.
>
>Yes, but that’s not what we are talking about here. In reality, what we are
>talking about is seeing if there is a way to remove an artificial concocted
>policy requirement without opening up major abuse potential.

My apologies for being repetitive, but I'd like to just interject, again,
that in the absense of any evidence that the existing (alleged) policy
has ever been persuasively enforced, it would appear that this so-called
"major abuse potential" already exists, and likely has existed, for some
considerable time now.

If the existing policy were rescinded tomorrow, would that event result
in hoards of Bad Actors suddenly coming out of the woodwork and doing all
manner of evil things that they did not already feel adeequately empowered
to do yesterday with abject impunity?

Regards,
rfg