[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks - Clarifying Language

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 01:11:38 EST 2019

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 10:58 PM scott <scott at solarnetone.org> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>

> >       pardon, we are talking about leasing to someone not operating a
> >       network,
> >       hence the "non-connected systems in the draft title".
> >       nobody has a problem with upstream provided addresses via a
> >       standard dhcp
> >       "lease".
> >

> > The point was landlords have always been here.
>
> In a form and fashion, maybe, out of necessity.  A circuit with no
> addresses routed to it is not so useful.  It is like buying a cup of
> coffee... you want it in a cup, or it is tough to drink.

Who are we to tell someone their network is not used for operational
purposes? Unless it is, of course, an illegitimate claim? On one hand, we
want to be flexible. We do want people who are have a legitimate need to
get whatever resources they can justify per policy. On the other hand, we
don't want anyone to get resources they aren't entitled to. That would be
wasteful and deprive legitimate others whether they are on the waiting list
or in a tight transfer market and competing for space. However, it seems
like staff are in a better decision to decipher the requests and choose a
direction. Silence in the NRPM on this topic is the richer and more
equitable solution.

For those reasons, I don't support the draft.

Best,

-M<