[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks - Clarifying Language

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Nov 3 16:58:32 EST 2019

Owen DeLong has eloquently provided some historical context as to why
ARIN enforcement of existing rules, such as the one at issue presently,
has tended towards what might be called "light touch" regulation.

Irrespective of the propriety of that approach, I feel the need to
point out that, to the best of my knowledge, no member has even been
penalized in any way for having leased IP addresses in the absence of
concomitant connectivity services.  (Now that the ARIN meeting has
finished, I have faith that John Curran will correct me if this is
just a misimpression on my part.)

On the other hand if I am correct that no member has even been penalized
in any way, for having violated this existing rule, then it follows,
I think, that repeal of the rule now would represent, in practice, a
distinction without a difference, and would amount to the sound of one
hand clapping.

Regards,
rfg