[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:50:43 EDT 2019


On 02/05/2019 13:38, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML wrote:
> Having specific wording will **immediately** allow courts and judicial 
> experts, to confirm that it was against the rules of the association. 
> Done.

Exactly ! I think that's a very import point to take in mind and focus 
about this discussion.

As it was already said in another message I understand the authors, if 
this doesn't reach consensus, are fine to either have a simpler proposal 
stating this clearly so future affected people can have better 
guarantees to scale these cases out of the RIR like to the court. The 
only thing that doesn't seem reasonable to have is nothing.

Fernando

>
> Regards,
>
> Jordi
>
> El 2/5/19 18:27, "ARIN-PPML en nombre de Nicolas Antoniello" 
> <arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net <mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> en 
> nombre de nantoniello at gmail.com <mailto:nantoniello at gmail.com>> escribió:
>
> The missing link in your assertion is that for the former you have 
> police (and other bodies) to enforce them... and for BGP you have only 
> good will :)
>
> El jue., 2 de may. de 2019 a la(s) 10:37, Fernando Frediani 
> (fhfrediani at gmail.com <mailto:fhfrediani at gmail.com>) escribió:
>
>     The same way the existence of laws stating certain practices are
>     wrong and forbidden doesn't stop people from committing crimes.
>
>     Fernando
>
>     On 02/05/2019 12:33, Nicolas Antoniello wrote:
>
>         Jordi,
>
>         As I´ve mentioned @ LACNIC discussions regarding this policy:
>         the existence of a statement in ARIN policy manual saying that
>         something like this is "bad" is not going to make anyone go to
>         do it in another place. And so, it's not going to prevent any
>         BGP bad practice (not the ones made on purpose neither the
>         accidental ones).
>
>         Regards,
>
>         Nicolas
>
>         El jue., 2 de may. de 2019 a la(s) 09:03, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
>         via ARIN-PPML (arin-ppml at arin.net <mailto:arin-ppml at arin.net>)
>         escribió:
>
>
>
>             El 2/5/19 15:50, "hostmaster at uneedus.com
>             <mailto:hostmaster at uneedus.com>" <hostmaster at uneedus.com
>             <mailto:hostmaster at uneedus.com>> escribió:
>
>
>
>                 On Thu, 2 May 2019, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via ARIN-PPML
>             wrote:
>
>                 > Hi Albert,
>                 >
>                 > El 2/5/19 15:02, "arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net
>             <mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> en nombre de
>             hostmaster at uneedus.com <mailto:hostmaster at uneedus.com>"
>             <arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net
>             <mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net> en nombre de
>             hostmaster at uneedus.com <mailto:hostmaster at uneedus.com>>
>             escribió:
>                 >
>                 >    On Thu, 2 May 2019, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via
>             ARIN-PPML wrote:
>                 >
>                 >    >2. CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
>                 >    >
>                 >    >(1) The exclusive right to be the registrant of
>             the Included Number
>                 >    >Resources within the ARIN database;
>                 >    >(2) The right to use the Included Number
>             Resources within the ARIN
>                 >    >database;
>                 >
>                 >
>                 >    This above kinda sums up the issue. My
>             understanding is this language
>                 >    comes from the RSA.
>                 >
>                 >    While the document grants the right to be the
>             registrant and use the
>                 >    "Included Number Resources", other language
>             stating that you cannot use
>                 >    someone elses number resources without the
>             permission of the registrant of
>                 >    those OTHER resources is missing from the RSA. 
>             That is what needs fixing.
>                 >
>                 >    Of course, it is not easy to amend the RSA. 
>             Therefore it is being
>                 >    advanced to add the BGP hijacking language to the
>             NRPM, which each ARIN
>                 >    RSA signer has also agreed to follow.
>                 >
>                 >    If the language is added to the NRPM and the
>             hijacker is an ARIN RSA
>                 >    signer, enforcement could be up to and including
>             the revoke of all ARIN
>                 >    resources.  However, all the worldwide resources
>             are NOT assigned to ARIN,
>                 >    therefore nothing can really be done by ARIN in
>             these cases where the
>                 >    hijacker is NOT an ARIN member.
>                 >
>                 >    As a result, the Advisory Committee declared it
>             totally out of scope, even
>                 >    though it does appear in scope if the hijacking
>             is being done by an ARIN
>                 >    RSA signer.
>                 >
>                 >    Unless this conflict can be solved, it is out of
>             scope, at least when it
>                 >    would be applied to non ARIN RSA signers. 
>             However, I think it is in scope
>                 >    when hijacking of ARIN assigned resources occur
>             by an ARIN RSA signer.
>                 >
>                 > When a policy proposal is sent to a specific RIR, I
>             understand that if finally, that results, thru the PDP, in
>             a policy, will be only in scope of the members of that RIR.
>                 >
>                 > That's why, we have two ways of doing it:
>                 > 1) A global policy, which requires same text reach
>             consensus in all the 5 RIRs (and it may be more difficult
>             and slower to achieve), or
>                 > 2) An equivalent policy in each of the 5 RIRs, which
>             is the path we decided for this specific policy proposal.
>                 >
>                 > So, I don't see a "conflict" in that aspect, just
>             part of the process, and as you say, a proposal can't be
>             declared out-of-scope because "it will only apply" to this
>             or that region.
>                 >
>                 > When I've observed similar problems in the policy
>             manuals of different regions, I always tried to follow the
>             same path, and most of the time, it works, because even
>             having different "cultures", we all work in the same Internet.
>                 >
>                 > Regards,
>                 > Jordi
>                 >
>                 The only potential issue is that the policy adopted in
>             each region must
>                 apply to ALL BGP Hijacking, not just the region
>             involved.  Otherwise the
>                 bad actors will simply choose to hijack numbers in a
>             different region to
>                 avoid the policy.
>
>             And that's probably a good thing. If one region doesn't
>             adopt this policy, versus others adopting it, then
>             hijackers will try to operate under that region, and I
>             guess that means the "quality" of service of the regions
>             that don't adopt it decreases, and that may turn the
>             community into a different view of it.
>
>                 Also, I assume we are mostly discussing hijacking of
>             IPv4 resources, much
>                 of which are clearly related to their short supply.  I
>             am unaware of any
>                 real effort currently being made to hijack IPv6 resources.
>
>             The proposal covers "any" resource hijacking (IPv4, IPv6
>             and ASN). The fact that IPv6 is not being hijacked know,
>             doesn't means that we can't prevent it to be covered by a
>             policy proposal.
>
>                 Albert Erdmann
>                 Network Administrator
>                 Paradise On Line Inc.
>
>
>
>
>             **********************************************
>             IPv4 is over
>             Are you ready for the new Internet ?
>             http://www.theipv6company.com
>             The IPv6 Company
>
>             This electronic message contains information which may be
>             privileged or confidential. The information is intended to
>             be for the exclusive use of the individual(s) named above
>             and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, copying,
>             distribution or use of the contents of this information,
>             even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
>             prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If
>             you are not the intended recipient be aware that any
>             disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents
>             of this information, even if partially, including attached
>             files, is strictly prohibited, will be considered a
>             criminal offense, so you must reply to the original sender
>             to inform about this communication and delete it.
>
>
>
>             _______________________________________________
>             ARIN-PPML
>             You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>             the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net
>             <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>             Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>             https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>             Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you
>             experience any issues.
>
>
>
>         _______________________________________________
>
>         ARIN-PPML
>
>         You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>
>         the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net  <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>
>         Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>
>         https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>
>         Please contactinfo at arin.net  <mailto:info at arin.net>  if you experience any issues.
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     ARIN-PPML
>     You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>     the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net
>     <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>     Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>     https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>     Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you
>     experience any issues.
>
> _______________________________________________ ARIN-PPML You are 
> receiving this message because you are subscribed to the ARIN Public 
> Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net). Unsubscribe or manage your 
> mailing list subscription at: 
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml Please contact 
> info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
> **********************************************
> IPv4 is over
> Are you ready for the new Internet ?
> http://www.theipv6company.com
> The IPv6 Company
>
> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged 
> or confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive 
> use of the individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty 
> authorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of 
> this information, even if partially, including attached files, is 
> strictly prohibited and will be considered a criminal offense. If you 
> are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, 
> distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if 
> partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited, will be 
> considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the original 
> sender to inform about this communication and delete it.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20190502/36dfe405/attachment-0002.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list