[arin-ppml] IP leasing policy

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Thu May 30 16:25:16 EDT 2019

Hi Fernando,

I said sellers in every RIR can sell their addresses and keep the money, LACNIC included.

I authored the policy that commenced 2.3.2.17 and have brokered most of the deals down there.

I can assure you the sellers are keeping the money. Well, not all of it. 😉

You are correct that justification is required in LACNIC, APNIC and ARIN, but not in RIPE.

You are also correct that we are not discussing transfers, but leases.

I only brought up transfers in the context of your claim that these assets were not property, when in fact they are.

Property owned by companies around the world, much like they own licenses, intellectual property, spectrum, etc.

Property limited by the rights of other parties (like the RIRs),  you are correct that these rights are constrained by RIR policy.

And the current RIR policies allow blocks to be bought and sold just like real estate.

Even real estate sales are subject to policies like mandatory recording of transfers.

Real estate is also leased, and so are IPv4 blocks.

You ask a good question about why leased blocks are not counted towards justification and I think there is a discussion to be had there.

But is not-counting-as-valid-use-for-justification the same thing as banning leasing?

*In my opinion*, it is not, and there is no policy banning leasing. Given this absence and given the value of ipv4 blocks, leasing is happening today.

I think there is value in bringing leasing into the light of day, and creating policy to support our mandate for accurate registration.

I am leaning towards an NRPM 8.6 section and happily accepting input, private or public.

Regards,
Mike